Sunday, August 30, 2015

Sheet Music Pinwheels



I am patiently awaiting the arrival of a new carpet before sharing updated pics of my classroom. But, I couldn't wait to give you another sneak peak.
 I have this large space above my filing cabinets. I used to hang content posters there, but the words were too small to read from across the room and I didn't want students coming closer to the posters and invading my desk area. So. last year, I moved the posters and left this space blank.



This year, I have been very picky about what goes on my walls, in hopes to create a space more aesthetically pleasing. I knew this blank space needed to be filled.
 I found a very simple tutorial explaining how to create Sheet Music Pinwheels by Jessie Marie on instructables.com. Here is a pic included in Jesse's tutorial.
www.instructables.com

I fell in love with this project as soon as I saw it. I decided to create several pinwheels and repurpose a large treble clef I had cut out of black foam board for a past project. 


To create one pinwheel, you need: 8 sheets of music, tape, scissors, hot glue gun, and a small cardboard circle. A full tutorial can be found at this link.

www.instructables.com

Here are some more close-ups of the pinwheels. I printed just the title page eight times so there would be a sense of symmetry in each pinwheel. I also used corrugated cardboard to make a backing, instead of a tissue box, to give the pinwheel more stability. I used a hand-held hold punch to put a small hole in the cardboard near one edge. I tied some string in a loop through the hole to make it easier to hang. I used small Command hooks to hang the pinwheels.



 I chose a few pieces of music that were sentimental to me, including our state song, "My Old Kentucky Home" and an arrangement of our national anthem for trumpet and piccolo which was performed by myself and a former student teacher at our field day one year.


I'm hoping this addition also prevents me from piling papers and books on top of my filing cabinets. I don't want clutter to distract from their beauty.

If you would like to create your own music pinwheel, follow this easy tutorial.

If you would like to see more picture of my updated classroom, stay tuned! Follow me on Facebook to receive notifications of recent posts.

This post is also featured on the September Music Education Blog Carnival! http://musicwithmrsdennis.blogspot.com/2015/09/music-education-blog-carnival-september.html

1 comment:

  1. All my performances must be in the gym. Not much can be done to improve the acoustics, home

    ReplyDelete